how to write an essay in apa format for college
Start by choosing a good topic to write about. Ideally, you want to select a subject that is specific enough to let you fully research and explore the topic, but not so specific that you have a hard time finding sources of information. If you choose something too specific, you may find yourself with not enough to write about; if you choose something too general, you might find yourself overwhelmed with information.
The following tips offer some useful guidelines that will help you prepare your paper and ensure that it is formatted properly.
This in-text citation is missing at least one key piece of information: the year of publication. If the citation refers to a complete work, as opposed to a particular page in the work, it would be correct to include only the author(s) and year of publication. If it refers to a particular page, it should include the page number (if available, and preceded by “p.”), as well.
- The in-text citation goes inside the end punctuation. Remember that the in-text citation is part of the sentence in which the source material Information that is quoted or paraphrased from outside works, such as journal articles, online documents, and books. is used, so it must be included in the sentence by placing the period after the parentheses.
- When citing a quotation An exact copy of the words from a speech or text. These words are placed inside quotation marks to show that they are a perfect repeat of the original. , both the in-text citation and end punctuation go outside the closing quotation marks A set of single or double inverted commas (‘ ‘ or ” “) that are placed around a word or passage to mark the beginning and end of a direct quotation or a title. . The end punctuation goes after the in-text citation, which is one of the few instances that end punctuation goes outside quotation marks.
- Indent, by .5 inches, entire quotations that exceed forty words (however, do not indent the attributive phrase).
- In block quotations A copy of a long section of a text or speech, set off from the rest of a text. Block quotations, like direct quotations, are exact repeats of wording, but because of their length they are indented or printed in a different font rather than placed inside quotation marks. , the in-text citation goes outside the end punctuation.
Note that you are not required to include a table of contents in APA style, but if you do choose to include one, all headings should be formatted as plain text, with an additional indent for each level.
To make things easier Scribbr created the free APA Citation Generator that cites every source perfectly. Just enter the URL, journal DOI or book ISBN and both the in-text citation and full reference are generated.
Use this checklist every time you prepare your document for publication or submission. It will help you stay focused.
Beneath, you should mention the institutional affiliation to indicate the author’s location. Your readers will understand where your research was conducted.
APA format example page:
- the title of the APA format paper
- names of all authors
- institutional affiliation
- course number and title
- instructor’s name
- due date